Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Jerusalem Walk – Old City


 I am still in awe that I am in the Holy Land.  There is so much to take in and something always new to learn and see. A week ago was my second visit to the Old City and I felt as if it was my first.  I am still trying to get myself situated and remember the names of locations, which seems to be a slow process. The Hebrew and Aramaic languages are wonderful yet so confusing.  I only wish I had done some studying this summer to become somewhat familiar with them.  Our first trip as a whole group began Wednesday morning when thirty-four of us loaded onto a bus, left the Moshav, located in Yad HaShmonah, and headed for Jerusalem.  While on the bus we learned our first Hebrew song, which is Psalm 136:1.  We passed through the cities of Qiryat Ye’arim, Abu Gosh, and Mevasseret.  Once in Jerusalem we were dropped off near the Old City.  Jerusalem is built on two hills, the Eastern Hill and the Western Hill.  The Old City is divided into the Christian, Armenian, Moslem, and Jewish Quarters.  The actual location of the Old City today is not the same as Jesus’ time; however it is close.  In 1536AD the Turks rebuilt the walls in Jerusalem.  They lost control during WWI to the British.  We entered through Jaffa Gate, one of six of the gates leading into the Old City.  Jaffa Gate is in the shape of an L so as to slow down traffic coming in and out of the city.  Part of the wall next to Jaffa Gate is broken down allowing cars access into the city.  Kaiser Wilhelm broke down that part of the wall so as to make an entrance when he took over.   Our first stop in the Old City was at the citadel, the Tower of David located in the Armenian Quarter.  Today the Tower of David is a museum and overlooks all of the Old City of Jerusalem.  It was a breathtaking view as we were able to see the Dome of the Rock, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the Mount of Olives, and so much more.  Located next to the east wall is the Kidron Valley; and next to the west and south wall is the Hinnon Valley.  These valleys aid in protecting the city from enemies.  There is no valley to the north thus the north wall is easily accessed.  From the Tower of David we went to Ali Baba Souvenir Shop, which is owned by Shaaban.  There we were able to exchange our American money for Israeli money.  I was astonished by Shaaban’s hospitality and trust with the group.  After Shaabans we headed to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher located in the Christian Quarter.   Due to time we were not able to go inside, but were able to view it from the outside.  The Church of the Holy Sepulcher is one of the possible locations of the crucifixion and burial site of Jesus.  It was mind boggling to think that I was actually there and I can’t wait to go back and go inside.  From there we headed to the Jewish Quarter and saw part of the wall that Hezekiah built.  It was twenty feet wide and was built to strengthen the defenses of Jerusalem.  After, we viewed a video about the Old City. The Old City is located next to the Gihon Spring.  Due to Israel’s climate there is not much water.  Wherever one finds water one will find cities.  I never realized how much I take for granted especially when it comes to water.  I am still trying to grasp all that has taken place and the importance of different events.  Our last stop of the day was at the Christ Church, an Anglican Church, located in the Armenian Quarter.  Looking back I feel like we saw so much, yet there is so much more to see and so much more I need to take in and remember about the places we went.  Everything I saw seems so insignificant yet is so significant in relation to Christ.  At the beginning of the day we were asked why does the Bible maintain that God is the God of one city in all the earth?  Why is His name attached to one city and one place?   I had never thought of this before, but He did it to make Himself known.  By attaching Himself to one city God’s divine is perceived.  It is where the divine comes into contact with the mundane.  The divine is involved in breaking the power of sin and death.  After my second day in the Old City I am beginning to realize how insignificant I am and how incredibly amazing God is.  I am so excited to see the rest of God’s Holy Land and to see what he has in store for my time here.  I know He is going to grow, strengthen, and challenge me in ways I never thought possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment