Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Benjamin, Jerusalem, the Mediterranean....

In the last week I have been to Jerusalem twice, had classes, celebrated Shabbat (The Sabbath), went to the Mediterranean Sea in Tel Aviv, gone on our Benjamin field trip, and had more classes.  The days seem to be flying by and all mixed together.  It is nonstop here.  I absolutely love it and still can't believe I am where Jesus was and will return to.  My absolute favorite part has been going to different locations, opening the Bible, and reading passages that talk about the location we are at.  Sometimes I don't fully grasp it till I get back on the bus and think oh my word, I was just at the spot where the Israelites conquered the Amorites, where the wall of Jericho fell, where Jesus was the night He prayed to the father let this cup pass over me, where Abraham Isaac and Jacob walked along the Road of the Patriarchs, where Jesus will one day split the Mount of Olives in two when he returns.  I feel like I am reading the Bible for the first time and it is amazing.  One huge thing I have been realizing is how huge the world is.  There are so many different ethnicities, cultures, and religions represented in Israel.  Sometimes I feel like Americans are so into themselves, especially in Las Angeles (Hollywood).  I don't think I fully realized how much is out there and how much I truly take for granted.  On Saturday while at the Mediterranean I and three others were able to witness to an Israeli named Ido.  His view on life was that we are gonna die eventually so while alive live life to its fullest.  He said if there is a heaven and a hell I will definitely go to hell, but I am fine with that.  There are so many who are lost because their eyes are closed to the truth.  Here I am continually reminded of how blessed I am that God chose me and opened my eyes to his truth.

Saturday we went to the beach - The Mediterranean Sea!  It was a wonderful day and very needed (we didn't do any homework)  I learned that the Mediterranean Sea is warm and salty.  

On Sunday we had a free day so we went exploring in New Jerusalem

At the top of this hill we looked out over Lower Beth Horon, the Beth Horon Ridge Route, and the Valley of Aijalon.  
 From the top we could see where the Amorites fled from the Israelites.  Large hailstones fell at the Ascent of Beth Horon and the moon stood still over the Valley of Aijalon - Joshua 10

On our way to look at the Wadi Suwenit and The Pass.  The Wadi Suwenit is a very steep canyon, there is only one way to cross and that is The Pass.  It is between the cities of Mickmash and Geba.  Joshua 10:1-5, 1 Sam 13:16-14:23, Isa 10:28-32, and 1 King 15:22 all mention The Pass. 

This is Rebecca and I and behind us is the city of Michmash.

The Wilderness


Behind us is the believed location of Jericho due to archaeology findings. (Joshua 6)





The Wadi Qilt

On our way back we stopped at a spring!  It was very refreshing as the day was very hot. 

Bus Buddies!

The following seven photos are photos that a fellow bio major took (Richard Dewey).  I have to say he is a really good photographer.  This photo is at the Southern end of Jerusalem overlooking the Hinom Valley and was where the Potsurd Gate was (Jeremiah 19).

In the Cemetery where Oscar Schindler was buried. 


This is a cave across from the Moshav (where we are staying in Yad Hashmona).  We hiked there during our first week in between classes.  I don't think we realized what we were in for.  We walked down a steep hill then up the other side.  The only problem was there was no trail and lots of thorny bushes.  Our legs were definitely scratched up after, but it was really fun. 




After class on Tuesday Kayla, Rebecca, and I decided to go try the winepress.  We picked some very old grapes and smashed them with our feet.  Isaiah 5:1-8, Matthew 21:33, Joel 3:13, Isaiah 63, and Rev 14:17 all mention winepresses.  Normally the winepress is a time of joy, but places in scripture use the winepress as a metaphor of the wrath that God will bring in the end times. 



Yeah for laundry!  Kayla and I did laundry for the first time...you hang everything up to dry, so fun!

The following five photos Dewey took as well!  This photo we were overlooking Gibeah of Saul.

At the Pools of Bethesda in the Old City of Jerusalem

The City of David

Looking at Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives

No comments:

Post a Comment